Voting

Saturday, December 30, 2006

The realities of an inner city school

This Christmas, Kyle gave me Teacher Man by Frank McCourt ('Tis and Angela's Ashes). He's a fabulous author. The main gist of this book is to basically paint a portrait of the art of teaching high school. I love it!
One thing I really miss about LCHS is actually teaching academically. I loved having deep discussions with my lovelies about anything and everything. I have to remember that, for most of my students, coming to school is an achievement by itself. None of my LCHS kids had to navigate the city bus system for up to an hour. None of my LCHS kids were responsible to get their babies fed and ready to go off to daycare. These inner-city kids have some gumption. However, how do I teach them??? Do I just pass them for showing up? One of my students is under that impression because she's at school every day but, she doesn't do a stitch of work. She's in grade 12 so, this type of behaviour has obviously worked for her. Or, what do I do with the 17 year old single father who was raising his one-year old until their social worker took her away because he can't seem to let go of his drug habit? He spends his days being mopey because he's missing her or partying because he's free from the adult responsibility that was weighing him down. How do I make curriculum connect with him?
I'm being challenged as a teacher. It's good for me. This year is character building.
I have also realized that I live a charmed life... maybe this is my way to give back for having it so good!

2 comments:

Jen said...

Sounds challenging, for sure! Best of luck getting through to them.

Tara said...

it sounds really challenging!!!! I was one of the ones looking after those students children and watching the parents give up on themselves was hard!!! I look up to you a lot because in all honesty I loved the children to pieces but every time I had to deal with the parents..I wanted to cry I didn't want to deal with them!!!!
so you keep teaching them teach them and loving them!!! I will pray for you as you learn how to connect with them so that they are in part connecting with the curriculum you are teaching them!!!