For the month of March, I have the privilege of introducing 2 university students to the art of teaching. It's fun. I have 2 extra adults in my classes. They are trying lots of new and creative ideas. It's good to see them try their ideas, take risks, have successes and put theories into practice.
When I started teaching 10 years ago, I had NO IDEA what I was getting into. I LOVE my job but it's hard. It's hard to teach good, well prepared memorable lessons. It's hard to manage class after class of adolescents with their varying needs and moods. It's hard to mark assignments when there are no longer any repercussions for students who choose not to do their work or hand it in on time. It's hard to meet all the needs of all my many students as well as meet the government's requirements. I manage but, when I explain my job to my pre-interns and watch their jaws drop, it's a shocking reminder about how challenging my career is.
The public usually just thinks that what I do is a 9-3:30 job with great holidays. Tell my pre-interns that. They're barely teaching one class a day and they are working around the clock. Wait until they have 4 additional classes, unknown curriculums, and the mysteries of their adolescent students. They will get the hang of it but, it will be hard. Many teachers in their first few years don't make it.
All in all, this has been great professional growth. I plan on doing it again next year.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment