Voting

Sunday, January 06, 2013

Work

Today, in church, I overheard a man complimenting a young woman for staying home with her kids because, he affirmed, that's what's best.

I work.

I felt a little offended at his remark.

I have stayed at home. I have worked full time and I have worked part-time. No matter what, I am still the best Momma for my kids. I have known stay-at-home Mommas who whine about their kids, their husbands and their homes. I have known full-time Mommas who have lamented missing their babies and not being 100% on-task at work.

Different strokes for different folks. Personally, I need to to work. I became a little too petty and me-focused when I was alone all day with little kids. Preferably, I'd like to work part-time. This way, I can give both my classes, my kids and my home all the attention they need.

So - yes, I work and that's what's best for my kids. Sorry, sir - I didn't appreciate the judgement call.

On that same note, holidays are over tomorrow. Wish me luck as I guide very sleepy teenagers into 2013.

1 comment:

Jen Wilson said...

Being home is what's best FOR SOME PEOPLE. I wouldn't like that remark, either, even though I do stay at home. I worked for 10 years with kids. It's what worked best for us, you know, wanting to eat and live in a house and stuff. My being home is best for US, RIGHT NOW.

I'm sorry that comment offended you. I know you're the best mama for your kids. :) And, by the way, my girls LOVED daycare, and I think daycare can teach kids things that they wouldn't otherwise learn at home.