
I read The Hunger Games series after Christmas break. Every time I stuck my nose into the books, it felt like I was submerged under water and I could barely breathe until I had to break the surface back into my reality. It was that intense, folks. If you haven't read it yet, where have you been? under a rock?
Normally, I would read the series and be done. However, I teach Middle Years now. I have built this elaborate community of readers (my students ROCK) and they watched me read The Hunger Games series during our Silent Reading time (any teacher who doesn't read during Silent Reading is missing one of my favorite parts of the day - yes, I am modelling and yes, I am reading for my own pleasure - it's awesome). I have Book Talked the series with every kid that has read it in my room. We have had the best discussions about love, family, the Roman Empire, government, power and sacrifice. Even better, all these conversations have been student led and we've been equal participants. (The girls and I have held lengthy debates about who's cuter and better: Peeta or Gale. It can get quite intense!) It's a level playing field when you talk to someone about a mutual love for a book. That makes it real to life instead of just something the curriculum requires. I love it!
Now, I've been roped into leading a Hunger Games Book Club at school. A bit of a challenge as all my participants are in varying parts of the series. Our first meeting is tomorrow. I have a cornucopia of ideas planned (literally). Should be fun.
Today, I booked tickets for Trevor and I to go to the movie. (It was supposed to be a surprise but I don't have a poker face and my husband can read me like a book.) Date night + a movie version of a book that has played a huge role in my 2012 so far = a very happy me!

2 comments:
I love this post! I absolutely love the Hunger Games series... I just finished the three books for the third time! I am so excited that you are using it in your school. There are so many things to talk about in each book! Can't wait to read more about your Hunger Games Book Club!
And by the way... my vote is with Gale. :)
Post a Comment