Voting

Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Winter sleep

When I was in high school and rode the bus each morning, I actually looked forward to December because the ride would always be dark. I could drift back to asleep while the bus lurched along.
I would nod in and out of awareness as farm kids piled onto and off of the bus.

Now, I have a similar commute to school. Only this time, I'm driving myself. Granted, I have some nice wheels. Also, I love my job. Lacking motivation to go to work is not my problem. My problem is the urge to sleep as soon as I'm in a vehicle for longer then 15 minutes. It's dark. My body has just warmed up with that "coming in from the cold" feeling. I'm full from breakfast, the music is playing and I fight the urge to sleep. I've taken to drinking coffee as I drive just to stay alert.

I'm looking forward to Winter Solstice so that the days will get longer. It'd be nice to have a happy sun greeting me in the morning instead of darkness.

P.S. The title of this post is also the title of this great new band I've recently discovered. They're from Nova Scotia and they sing this oddly catchy song called "Weighty Ghost".

2 comments:

Jen said...

I'm the same way. Car + dark + extended period of time = the urge to sleep!

Michelle said...

Jill, what town do you teach in?